<!--:es-->Indio Miles Avenue 
Bridge Officially Opened<!--:-->

Indio Miles Avenue Bridge Officially Opened

Al Vasquez

La Prensa Hispana

The Miles Avenue Bridge has become a reality. The $22 Million dollar project is funded jointly by CVAG (75%) with the City of Indio and Riverside County providing the other 25% of the funds.

The improvement of Miles Avenue from a two lane to four lane and the addition of sidewalks, curbs and gutters from the bridge to Clinton Street has been a welcome sight for residents with their property values increasing due to the improvements. The Indio city management led by City Manager Glen Southard and his team was lauded by the many dignitaries in attendance at the ribbon cutting ceremonies.

In attendance were representatives from the agencies involved, the City of Indio, Riverside County, CVAG, Riverside County Transportation Department as well as representatives from the districts representatives including Claudia Suarez from the office of Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack.

The Coachella Valley Association of Governments, (CVAG) Chairman Eduardo Garcia opened the ceremonies with Riverside County Supervisor Roy Wilson, Indio Mayor Melanie Fesmire, John Stanford, Deputy Executive Director from the Riverside County Transportation Department, Juan Perez, Director of the Riverside County Transportation Department and Tom Kirk Executive Director of CVAG took turns at the podium expressing congratulations of the tremendously vital project for Indio.

The Clinton Street improvement project will begin February 2010 to further improve West end sections of Indio leading into the Old Downtown area.

Miles Avenue has historically been the street used by locals to visit Old Town and now it will be much easier.

Front page photo: Indio councilman Glenn Miller, Councilman Ben Godfrey, Councilwoman Lupe Ramos Watson, the owner of La Hacienda Nursery, Mayor Melanie Fesmire and Mayor Pro Tem Gene Gilbert.